Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fat Free/No Guilt/Guilt Free Labeling

I have been meaning to blog about this for quite some time now. In addition to being a Personal Trainer at Transform Fitness and Nutrition, I also work at a grocery store in the wee small hours of the morning. I try my best while working at this store to educate our customers on "healthier choices" and help them to eat better in general. A few months ago, we got in some "Reduced Guilt Guacamole". Let me start out by first saying that every premade guacamole that we carry is wonderful. It tastes good, has simple ingredients such as Avocados....and maybe some tomatos, onions and other spices depending on what you get. So here comes along this "Reduced Guilt Guacamole". Guacamole...as made primarily with avocados is a good fat. It is not the same as eating a milk chocolate bar, a piece of cake or anything else loaded with fat and carbs. It is a good fat that our bodies and brains need to get stronger. Similar to other good fats such as nuts, and fish oil. Fats are not bad!! Our society has brainwashed into thinking low fat is good. That couldn't be further from the truth! Now I am not telling you to go eat a whole bag of nuts...everything in moderation. I am, however telling you that in moderation, good fats help burn fat, and make you smarter! The thing they did with this "reduced guilt" guac..was to take out half of the avocado in a container and replace with greek yogurt. Greek yogurt...is good for you! However...why would you mess with a good thing? If you want greek yogurt, I would suggest getting some 2% Fage greek yogurt. (notice I did not say fat free!!) Add some berries to it if you need some sweetness. Full of protein and of course...good for you! Do not get the greek yogurt with syrups and sugar laden fruits on the side...this is defeating the purpose. As far as the guac..either make your own...or buy the full fat kind and enjoy it on some fresh veggies! One more common thing I hear from our customers..."Well, if I get the 'reduced guilt' I can eat the whole container!" Moderation people!! You do not NEED the whole container! Find a friend and share the real thing and enjoy! Have a wonderful day!!! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment